There are several ways to prevent your dog from biting:
- Keep your dog away from people and circumstances that stress or frighten him; keep him in a separate room or fenced yard if the situation calls for it.
- If your dog is possessive/aggressive around food, feed her away from other pets and people.
- Don't send mixed messages. Some people want aggressive guard dogs at home, but if you teach your dog that all outsiders are potential threats, don't be surprised when he bites someone-even someone totally harmless.
- Break your dog of a biting habits. Even a dog that likes to bite "playfully" can be misconstrued as vicious by the recipient of a harmless nip, so it's smart to stop all kinds of biting.
- Give dogs plenty of love and positive reinforcement when they engage in gentle behaviors that you like.