Do College Students Need Renters Insurance

Students who live on campus typically don't have to worry about renters insurance: A student who lives in on-campus housing is covered under his or her parent’s renters or homeowners insurance. Their parents' homeowner's policy should cover the loss or damage of most items. College students renting an off-campus apartment, condo, or house should have their own renter’s insurance policy. They aren’t eligible to get coverage from mom and dad’s renters or homeowners policy.

Check with your Independent Agent to find out exactly whether your student can be covered and at what cost. Make sure the personal property limit on your homeowner’s policy is adequate. You might need additional coverage to insure expensive items like jewelry, musical instruments, or certain sports equipment.