Spring time seems to be a magnet for water damage. As the weather warms and the snow melts, flooding is imminent.
It is much easier to protect your home from flooding than it is to clean up after your home is flooded. Just a little water in a basement or ground floor of a home can be a huge mess that is expensive and time consuming to clean up. This spring, take a few minutes to walk around the outside of your home to see if you are at risk for flooding.
- Inspect your gutters and downspouts for debris.
- Inspect the foundation for cracks or holes.
- Check to see if the soil around the foundation slopes away from the house.
- Re-direct your gutter downspouts – At least five feet away from your home.
- If you have a chronic problem with water seeping into your basement, invest in a sump pump.
In the past 5 years, all 50 states have experienced floods or flash floods and Homeowners insurance does NOT cover flood damage. Contact your agent to discuss Enhancement Endorsements that can offer some assist, should you experience interior water damage.