Sending Your Kid Off To College?

It’s July, and many parents all over the country are faced with the fact that, soon, their child will be heading off to college.

With laptops and printers being shipped off to school, it is more important than ever that students and their parents purchase the appropriate insurance protection.

The type of insurance you’ll need depends on whether your child will live in a dorm, or in off-campus housing, such as an apartment.

  • For kids living in a dorm, personal belongings will be covered under their parents current homeowners or renters policy.
  • Kids who live off-campus need a stand-alone renters policy independent of their parents, as will each roommate.

Check with your Independent Agent to make sure the personal property limit on your homeowner’s policy is adequate. You might need additional coverage to insure expensive items like jewelry, musical instruments, or certain sports equipment.